The first step in email marketing involves collecting email addresses of people who may be interested in your offer. After all, without a mailing list, you can not start a single campaign.
At first this task may seem too complicated. But do not concentrate only on e-mail. There are many other channels through which you can establish contact with consumers.
How to create a list of email addresses for mailing? After you collect enough information, what to do next? How often should I send email messages? How to ensure the delivery of e-mails bypassing the spam folder?
To answer all these questions, and also compose a large and high-quality list for mailing, the following 105 techniques and tactics will help you.
1. General advice
- Use only the addresses that you received with the permission of the users. Buying a mailing list is a bad idea, it will provide you with a high risk of complaints, refusals and unsubscribes.
- Experiment with new methods and get the most out of the most effective ones.
- Methods that work for others may not work for you.
- Once there are enough addresses in the list, segment the audience to increase efficiency.
- Do not insist, if you offer value, loyalty will not keep you waiting.
- Consider the use of automation tools.
2. Configure the opt-in form
- Simplify the subscription process by inviting users to enter only the email address.
- Describe the content of the mailing and the frequency of sending messages.
- Add testimonials from content recipients.
- Mention the number of subscribers, if significant.
- Make an exclusive offer to subscribers.
- Offer subscribers something of value for free.
3. Optimize existing addresses
- Extract addresses from transactional business communications.
- Share addresses with companies offering related products and services (with the permission of subscribers).
- Add a subscription link to all private messages.
- Add “send to a friend” link in all messages.
4. Use your site as a portal
- Promote the distribution on social networks, on the website and in the blog.
- Create a separate landing page for mailing.
- Place a form on the blog home page for capturing email addresses.
- Use the Leadboxes website from Leadpages.
- Analyze the heat map and determine the most suitable place for opt-in form.
- Test the location of the CTA button, try 404 pages, sidebars, headers, footers, pop-up messages, messages appearing when scrolling through the page, or floating messages.
- Ask blog commentators to share their addresses.
- Suggest that you fill out the opt-in form for everyone who comments on the blog.
- Exchange opt-in links with other newsletters.
- Include opt-in in forums that potential customers can visit.
- Buy ads on websites that your customers often visit.
- Offer subscribers a free download of the application.
- Offer subscribers a free e-book or a guide.
- Include a subscription request on the blog.
- Publish limited content on the site, offer full version to subscribers.
- Launch a competition in which participants will be invited to sign friends.
- Use the special tools (for example, SumoMe List Builder) to display the opt-in form for visitors about to leave your site.
- Use the special tools (for example, SumoMe Scroll Box) to show the opt-in form to visitors who scroll down the page.
- With services similar to Qualaroo, you can ask a question about subscription.
- Create the most visible confirmation page, which once again lists all the benefits of the subscription.
5. Promote subscription in social networks
- Paste the opt-in link to the video on YouTube.
- In Pinterest, get subscribers using pins that link to a subscription form.
- Add opt-in forms to your profiles in social networks.
- Send a message with an invitation to those who mention your business in social networks.
- Publish opt-in forms on the company’s LinkedIn page and in the discussion section.
- Create attractive images and offer to subscribe to the newsletter in Instagram.
- Organize the rally and ask participants to share electronic addresses.
- Organize the contest and for participation, ask users to share electronic addresses.
- Launch advertising on Facebook, dedicated to mailing.
- Create a test poll (for example, using the Woobox tool) associated with your brand, where the participants share their results in social networks and leave their email addresses to you.
- The Binkd tool will collect the addresses of the participants who tweet about your brand in exchange for participating in the contest.
6. Collect addresses from visitors
- Type opt-in information on checks.
- Collect business cards or e-mail addresses and conduct prizes.
- Place subscription information in visible places.
- Add a QR code for quick subscription via smartphone.
- Ask all calling customers if they are subscribed to the newsletter.
- Use a special bulletin board for email addresses.
- Ask customers to leave email addresses when they sign checks or papers.
- Include an offer to subscribe to baskets and shopping carts for purchases.
- Collect addresses during events.
- Offer customers a discount or free products for an email address.
- Collect email addresses of customers who came to you from sites with coupons.
7. Do not forget the paper mail
- Send postcards with the offer to subscribe.
- Add proposal to subscribe to accounts.
- Invest subscription information for each order.
8. Other features
- Write down addresses during business events.
- Add information about the subscription to business cards.
- Bring forms to subscribe to events.
- Send SMS messages to customers with an offer to subscribe.
- Place advertisements in local publishers that your audience is reading.
- Collect addresses while participating in exhibitions and festivals.
- Organize the anniversary celebration of the subscribers’ club to attract new customers.
- Pay employees for collecting quality email addresses.
- Offer a discount to customers who will share their friends’ addresses with you.
- Organize the shares for which you want to be a subscriber.
- Offer free advice in exchange for e-mail addresses.
- Collect the addresses of those who mention your business.
- Justuno can automatically offer coupon code to subscribers.
- Organize the WordPress community for business and offer a subscription.
- BuiltWith.com helps you find out what tools competitors use to create lists.
9. Strengthen your authority
- Create a competitive email marketing plan for the year.
- Use tools for personalization.
- Create creative, simple and motivating topics for letters.
- Stick to the tone that your audience likes.
- Create short and informative messages.
- Make sure that recipients do not want to miss any of your messages.
- Use a variety of messages with useful information.
- Inform customers about the latest important news.
- Tell the recipients how to extract the most from your product.
- Share your success with subscribers.
- Re-use popular articles, videos and marketing messages in email messages.
- Add only attractive, optimized and quality images.
- Use humor if possible.
- Dedicate letters to holidays or special events.
- Cover events related to your business.
- Add an attractive CTA in the form of a link or button.
- Suggest an attractive design.
- Optimize all messages for mobile devices
- Watch out for the rumors of competitors.
- Study the trends of the industry and apply them in work.
- Do not offer valuable content without a subscription.
- Attract the attention of the recipients with the help of video.
- Tell users what to expect from the next message.
10. Increase efficiency
- Regularly conduct A / B testing to determine audience preferences.
- Surveys among subscribers.
- Measure conversion rates, bounce rates, discoveries and notes, compare them with industry average values.
- Review the list regularly, removing subscribers who have not interacted with your company for a long time.
- In each message, add a link for easy unsubscription.
- Listen to customer reviews and make the necessary changes.
There are a lot of ways to collect a quality list of email addresses for mailing. The main thing to start! Use these ideas for your inspiration.